Friday, October 26, 2007

The New Girl

It’s pretty hard to go to a new school; I’ve been having a really hard time lately. I just couldn’t believe it when the boundaries changed so that I had to go a new school my ninth grade year! FJH is so different from my old school. The teachers at “the new school” are 100% better, but I’m still an outsider among the students.

Most people at the new school don’t realize that I’m new; because I’m an S.B.O. I get asked about once every week by a curious student “Who are you? How are you an officer?” Patiently I’ve explained about 1000 times, but my patience is wearing thin. So here’s the story for all of those that don’t understand.

I wasn’t the only one feeling sorry for myself when the boundaries changed; the school district had a tiny bit of sympathy. We begged the school district,
“Please don’t make us go to a new school, not now!” Their consciences’ got the better of them, so they came up with a plan so that they could feel less guilty. The following week the “new school” sent out a letter telling the ninth graders that one lucky person from our neighborhood would be able to be elected for student government. I argued with myself every day about whether I should try out or not.
“Should I try out?”
“Yes, it will look really good on my college resume!”
“No, no, no, and no! I’m not really popular!”
“But I’ve always been nice to everyone and gone out of my way to talk to people without friends!”
“If I make it would the officers accept me?”
Despite the equal number of pros and cons, I tried out. Much to my surprise I was voted into office by all the kids in my neighborhood.

It’s been fun to be an officer, and I was accepted very quickly. But despite all of this, sometimes I’m really sad. I’ve known all the kids from my old school for five years of elementary and junior high school, sometimes I feel “schoolsick.”

Other than missing all of my cousins and friends, I’ve had other difficulties. I never thought much of the quote “To have a friend, you have to be a friend.” I think of this quote daily now. Most of the friends I now have all became my friends because I plucked up the courage to talk to them.

So what I’m trying to say here fellow Honors English classmates is; don’t ever be scared to talk to me! Because most likely I’m more scared than you!

3 comments:

Panda Girl said...

I'm sorry about that, it's got to be really hard switching schools for your last year of Junior High. I for one am glad you came to FFJH though!!!

I.N.H. said...

I was scared to talk to you. I just knew I had seen and heard your voice some where before.

Mads said...

I talked to you today! :P I'm sorry they made you come to FFJH for your last year, but I'm glad you did. Who knows, maybe we'll become friends? I mean you're in several of my classes, and my friends seem to be friends with you! :P

Just consider this my way of asking you to be my friend! Lol.