Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Worst Trip Ever


Generally fellow students who get to know me say that I’m a very attentive, and respectful student. The day I got sent to the principal's office wasn’t just a shock to me, it was a shock to them too.

In seventh grade at my old junior high, everyone was required to take an art class. The only problem with that was that I wasn’t good at art, not good at all. And one day in class my art teacher Mr. Edenor finally got fed up with my work.
“You don’t spend any time on this at all, do you? This looks like a kindergartener’s scribble!” he ranted angrily.
“Mr. Edenor, I always try my best! I put my best effort into this!” I cried in protest.
“Well your best doesn’t cut it this time! Go to the principal’s office, and take your drawing with you! I’m calling your dad!” I was so numb with horror that I didn’t even protest. Quickly I walked to the office trying my hardest to prevent the tears that I knew were coming. When I opened the huge double doors to the office I walked straight to the secretary. Feebly I whimpered
“I was sent to the principal’s office…” Her smile turned into a frown, and she scrutinized me like I was a dangerous criminal.
“It’s right in there.” She said, sounding disgusted. It was the hardest struggle of my life to keep that frog welling up in my throat from leaping out. The nice secretary whom I had always liked thought that I was a bad person! I must be a bad person! Slowly and ever so reluctantly, I opened his door. He looked up as I approached. Doctor Koldah looked surprised to see me, and then his eyes scanned my face, searching for an answer as to why I was there.
“Sit down, sit down.” He beckoned for me to sit in a big maroon chair. Nervously I obliged. I tried to speak but nothing would come out.
“So why were you sent here?” he said apparently unable to guess.
“Mr. Edeneor sent me.” I squeaked. He just stared waiting for more information. Anxiously I took a few breaths and then continued.
"He didn’t like my artwork, so he sent me to your office.” Now my voice was shaking.
"That’s all?” he casually demanded.
"I promise that that is the only reason. I had an H in his class last term! I have never disrupted his class!” Doctor Koldah twiddled his thumbs and thought for a moment.
"That is extremely odd. I am sorry he sent you to the office, because apparently you shouldn’t be here. Most schools don’t make you take art. Obviously Mr. Edenor is taking his job a little too seriously. I hope that you haven’t been too offended.”
"I’m sorry Doctor Koldah, but it is impossible not to be... I have always tried my best at this school, and this is what I get for it.” Sadly I buried my face in my hands. Just then my dad entered the room, he was pale with anger. Quickly I wiped my eyes and sat up straight.
"Good evening Doctor Koldah, and what brings me here today?”
"A very bad mistake made by an art teacher, Mr. Edenor.”
"What did she do?” He questioned sounding more calm then he looked.
"She drew this picture.” Doctor Koldah showed my dad the picture of a house that had taken me hours to draw. My dad’s eyes became as round as quarters,
"That’s wonderful! When did you draw that Jojo?”
"Yesterday!” I sobbed miserably
"And he gave me an F on it!” I added my voice raising an octave.
"Doctor Koldah, I was called from work to look at this drawing that Mr. Edenor graded horribly? What's wrong with it? Is it just not Picasso enough? Jojo is just a seventh grader, what does he expect?” said my dad angrily
"I agree with you completely Mr. Snicktaw, I feel very embarrassed about this incident. Jojo, do you mind if I teach you how to draw this better?” Shakily I nodded.

Then Doctor Koldah spent an hour of his time teaching me how to draw a complicated but good picture of a house. Later I was allowed to redo the assignment which somehow earned an A. It was barely different from the one I got an F on! Getting sent to the principal's office is not fun!

1 comment:

Panda Girl said...

Wow that is really harsh. That's so not fair! As long as you do your best then that should be good enough.

BTW I love your new background! It's awesome!!!