Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Substitute Teacher Phobia (Part Two)

       You know how I said I was, "scared of substitutes?" I had another fun experience today with a substitute. Want to take a guess at what class they were substituting in? Same as last time! I had a substitute bus driver. Not as life threatening as the last, but it was very inconvenient.

     My dad took my brother to school early. Before my brother left, he sprinted down the stairs and into my room. Looking at me curiously he asked, "Do you want a ride?" After thinking about the question for about a millisecond I said, "No, I'll take the bus. Can't you see that I'm still in my pajamas?" Mitch rolled his eyes and jogged back upstairs to hitch a ride with my dad.

     Hurriedly I shoved a pop-tart in my mouth and got changed into my favorite black shirt (my only black shirt.) When I was done getting ready for school, I practiced the piano until it was time for me to leave. Like all typical days, I turned the alarm system on, and then walked out into the brilliant sunlight. It had been the first time I'd seen the sun in a few days. Breathing in the fresh air, and absorbing the gloriously warm sun rays; I strolled to the bus stop. I stood at the bus stop waiting patiently for the bus. During that time I chit-chatted with a few girls, and then Jacob plucked up the courage to talk to me. He asked me if I was ready to dissect crayfish in science. Gritting my teeth I told him that I didn't want to be reminded. Right as I was thinking about the disturbing dissecting, the bus came to a screeching stop in front of us. Somehow I wasn't surprised to see my worst nightmare sitting in the front seat, a substitute bus driver! Reluctantly I trudged up the dirty black stairs, as if it was a natural instinct, I scanned the bus for seats. To my surprise, practically every seat was open! That was a first! Well I didn't think much about it, an almost empty bus seemed convenient at the time.

     A few minutes on our journey, Jacob looked at his watch and said, " I like this substitute! We're going to be early today!" Still it didn't phase us that something wasn't normal. Sitting in the front seat, I heard the static radio start to talk, " Turn back, you have missed a bus stop!" it was repeated again for extra emphasis, "Turn your bus around, you have missed a bus stop on Parkside." It was a nasally woman's voice, but the message was clear, or so I thought, apparently the bus driver had a hard time in English. "I did what?" he spluttered, "What's wrong? I missed a stop?"
 "Yes, I repeat, you missed a bus stop. Turn back now." repeated the radio woman for the third time. "Uh, okay." replied the bus driver. Angrily I covered my face in my hands. I live about six miles away from the school! We were just two streets away from reaching the school! So close, yet so far, the bus driver turned around at the city library.

"Well Jack, guess I won't have to worry about dissecting anymore." I said glumly. I didn't want to dissect, but I didn't want to mess up my perfect attendance record.
"They can't mark you tardy." he replied. Getting more frustrated by the minute I replied peevishly.
"Well that doesn't matter! I'll get a demerit in band, if I don't get my folder into the slot. That's an automatic ten points off my grade, the difference between an "A" and a "B." He looked a little sympathetic and then replied,
"Well then, it's not your fault if you get a B." I swallowed my words, trying to cheer up, I looked out at the sun shining mockingly bright.

     Eventually we drove past my neighborhood to Parkside, the forgotten bus stop. The teenagers at that stop thought it was hilarious that the bus was so late, everyone else was in panic mode.

     When we got to school it was about 8:14. Already four minutes late to class, I practically ran to my locker. I dumped everything in my backpack into my locker, grabbed the few things I needed for dissection, and shut my locker. When I reached class two minutes had passed. As I walked into the classroom Mrs. C looked at me like I was a more disgusting creature than the crayfish we were dissecting! Hastily I told her, "My bus was late." The look on her face told me that she didn't really believe me. Right then I decided to take Jacob's advice, it was Mrs. C's fault if she didn't believe me, I was telling the truth! My frustration was dissolved when I started dissecting, frustration was replaced with disgust, and soon after my disgust was replaced with a math quiz. It all turned out to be another typical day at school.

Once again, I will stick with my advice from my last report on substitutes. Be grateful for the people who take care of you! Be grateful for teachers, because you never know how awesome they truly are until they're gone.

2 comments:

Brain said...

Well that's not very good. I HATE being late for school. Sometimes it just can't be helped though...

Anonymous said...

I always dread being late for school, because to me, that's about the most embarrassing thing that can happen to you at school. Maybe that's just me...but I don't like the feeling of everyone looking at you when you walk in late. It bugs. Sorry about the weird sub, he sounds "interesting..."
Crayfish are gross.