Thursday, March 13, 2008

Comma Essay: My Substitute Teacher Phobia


I have never suffered from any allergies, or had the wonderful experience of hives. Until a few months ago, when I came to realize that I am allergic to substitute teachers. Admit it, none of us really like a sub, no matter how oblivious they are to the mischief all around them. Yet somehow, I know that there is a reason why we as students must endure the hardship of subs. Substitutes are meant to make us students become more grateful for our kind and caring teachers. Lately I've had a lot of them, mostly in math, science, and band.Well two weeks ago there was a substitute bus driver driving our neighborhood’s bus. She was a little ignorant of what exactly she was supposed to do. Every two seconds she would look back at me and say, "Which way do I go? Where do I turn?" I would calmly respond, "Left," or "Right."Well that isn’t what put me on edge for the rest of the day. How she entered the school parking lot nearly broke the camel's back.The short and stout little substitute driver turned sharply, and then cut left into the FFJH bus parking lot. “Well, what’s so bad about that?” She drove up onto the sidewalk! It was a rather icy morning, and so she couldn’t see the road very well. I seemed to be the only one paying attention to this serious driving violation. Unfortunately I was wide awake after having eight hours of sleep, I was staring in horror at how the crazy sub was driving.There was an innocent looking seventh grader carrying a rather big instrument on the icy pavement only ten feet from the bus, but that didn’t slow the bus driver down. The young boy had quite a start when he realized that a bus was heading straight for him. The sub driver looked very irritated that a boy was in the road; angrily she honked her horn several times. Practically falling out of my seat I half yelled, "You're on the sidewalk!!!!" The old lady didn't seem abashed at all over her mistake. "Oookay!" she replied, no remorse was heard in her strict tone.

I learned my lesson the harsh way, now it’s time for you to learn yours. Be grateful for the people around you who take care of you, teachers, parents, and especially your bus driver.I learned my lesson the harsh way, now it’s time for you to learn yours. Be grateful for the people around you who take care of you, teachers, parents, and especially your bus driver.

5 comments:

Brain said...

Wow, I've never ridden the bus for all that long, and definitely not with a sub. I still think buses are scary. You just made that fear all more real.

Anonymous said...

Haha, I remember when you told me about that...how funny. Was the instrument a tuba? I don't like subs, they are clueless.

Anonymous said...

Nah, I think it was a baratone... But the boy was so skinny and small. I mean, a bully probably could've stuffed him in his instrument! And then the bus driver nearly ran him down! It was so dang crazy...

Panda Girl said...

Speaking of buses! Remember the kid in our band class who was barking out the window? And the bus driver yelling at him? That was very... um... interesting I guess... lol

Anonymous said...

Yeah that was sort of funny. He got practically all of the boys on the bus barking. And then the basoon player was like, "meow!" That was classic. But I didn't realize that the bus driver yelled at him though. O_o